Re: [SLE] More on KDE 3.1
  • From: Henry Harpending <harpend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:28:26 -0700
On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 04:35:29PM -0500, Karol Pietrzak wrote:
> On Sunday 09 February 2003 16:14, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > Aside from being very UNhappy with SuSE and YOU (NOTHING on the Net.
> > is as s-l-o-w as SuSE with YOU), I've had a long weekend, and my
> > client is beginning to wonder what's going on!!!!!! I've wasted OVER
> > 4 hours over the past 2 days waiting for updates, and it's doing same
> > when I left it this afternoon. I've wasted enough time, and SuSE has
> > had MORE than ample time to fix it!!!!
>
> Yes, this is a big problem and SuSE should definitely get off their ass
> and fix it.
>
> > Second, I'll recommend that NO ONE else try KDE 3.1 till either Konq.
> > is FIXED, or SuSE fixes the install!! I don't know which is
> > responsible, but Konq. HAS MAJOR problems!!!!! SuSE SHOULDN'T have
> > released 3.1 in it's present condition......period!
>
> I have had no problems with my Konqueror 3.1.0. In fact, I have
> abandoned Mozilla 1.2.1 as my primary browser for it.
>
> It's unfortunate that you are having such problems with it, but the KDE
> 3.1 packages for 8.1 are -not- official yet. From the SuSE LinKS page:
>
> "KDE 3.1 packages for SuSE Linux 8.1 will be available from Feb. 11th."
>
> If you (or anyone) is using SuSE Linux 8.1 and wants to upgrade to KDE
> 3.1, I recommend you wait.

I installed 3.1 on SuSE 8.1 with the KDE site rpms. After lots of
trouble with Konqueror freezing on web sites it seems to have healed
itself, but there are two big problems with KDE that my kids have:

a. The text on some web sites doesn't render right: all upper case
letters and some lower case ones are shown as rectangles, no matter what
font or encoding is selected. I can copy this text and paste it into an
xterm and all the characters are displayed fine. This happens regularly
with messages on the yahoo groups site.

b. Kmail will let me set readable fonts but, if I do, will not display
html mail messages. If I set it to allow html the fonts are so small
that I can't read the message.

Henry Harpending

< Previous Next >