Re: [SLE] Ogle DVD
  • From: Dennis <dlbt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:50:19 +0800
Marino Fernandez wrote:

--- "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/04/2003 03:32 AM, Dennis wrote:

My DVD drive is on secondary slave (hdd) but it is

using SCSI
emulation as the secondary primary is connected to

Try the boot paramenter, hdd=ide-cd.

SCSI emulation does not interfere with you enabling
DMA; my DVD/CDRW drive has scsi emulation, it is seen
by linux as /dev/sr0, and still I can enable DMA with
hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc...
However, if yours is a DVD-ROM or a DVD-rom/CD-rom
(i.e. a read only device)... if it is not a burner,
you do not need SCSI emulation... SCSI emlation is
needed only tu burn CDs... if this is your case it
makes sense disabling SCSI emulation... but if you
disable scsi emu and you have a burner... well, then
you won't be able to burn cd's.

My DVD rom is not a burner, just a normal DVD/CD-Rom, so it is okay to go without SCSI emulation.

I will check the DMA setting but I remember it has been turn 'ON' ? the issue here is 8.1 pro emulate both drives for me during setup and this may be the cause of the problem as I cannot access to the DVD drive initially and need to relink to sr1 for it to work, any concern here?

Thank you for any help
Dennis