Re: [SLE] Too Difficult
  • From: mike <mgrello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:17:50 -0500
On Saturday 30 November 2002 17:02, Ali Naddaf wrote:
[stuff cut]

> On Saturday 30 November 2002 15:39, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 November 2002 01:17 pm, Ali Naddaf wrote:
> > > Howard,
> > >
> > > If you feel more comfortable with Windows, please consider switching
> > > back. After all, variety is the spice of life and some prefer Windows
> > > to Linux and some Linux to Windows and neither is right nor wrong;
> > > these are personal preferences. If Linux is not working for you, the
> > > right thing for you is to go back and use Windows.
> > >
> > > This mailing list is for asking technical questions and finding answers
> > > and has served well for many users. If you have particular technical
> > > questions about SuSE Linux, feel free to post them and the kind people
> > > on this list will try to help you as much as they can; I doubt anything
> > > can be achived by the type of complaints that you had in your mail;
> > > those questions belong somewhere else.
> > >
> > > Have fun and enjoy life.
[stuff cut]

Bummer of a response! I am a kernel developer for a major UNIX company, and
I am having some issues with SuSE; they are not showstoppers because I know
what I am doing, but the mass audience might be different. I switched to
Linux some years back because I found it EASIER to use and configure than
Windows. This siituation is beginning to reverse itself. Ins SuSE 8.1 I
have had to manually enable my mouse wheel, something I am sure would have
confused a newbee.

Also E-term has been crippled, X-Files no longer works (returning tcl
errors), and Xmcd won't get through configuration.

I guess, Ai, that you are right about one thing; if I had wanted Windows, I
would have bought Windows, but I chose Linux - because it is easier to use.

John Dvorak, Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols and the various Linux distros have an
important lesson ot learn; if left up to the bean counters we would all be
running Visicalc on a 12 inch green monitor and a 286; it is the home user
that drives innovation; make him happy and J. Random Pointy-Hair will follow
slavishly like the sheep that he is!

And other than these small problems SuSE 8.1 is a great product.

mg