Re: [SLE] Audio again.
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 26 Dec 2002 19:46:03 +0100
Erik Jakobsen <eja@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Puzzling with the mount in the dvd by right clicking the dvd icon on
> the desktop did able me to again to could mount a data_cd in the dvd drive.
>
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 2002-09-09 22:24 /dev/dvd

If I understand it right, data CD mounting works both for the
cdrecorder and dvd now. /bin/mount is a suid root program so any user
can mount and access the device /dev/dvd even when root is its owner.

The problem with audio CDs is that kscd is not suid root and therefore
the device /dev/dvd must be owned by the user who invokes kscd (or the
group permissions and ownership must be changed). On my system, the
ownership of /dev/cdrom changes when I log in:

$ ls -lL /dev/cdrom
brw------- 1 malusek malusek 11, 0 Sep 24 2001 /dev/cdrom

But I don't know how to force this change for /dev/dvd too. I know a
workaround but it may be better to wait if someone knows a
"recommended" solution.

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >