Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.1 broken?
  • From: Jerry A! <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:13:17 -0500
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:58:11AM -0800, Alex Daniloff wrote:
: Hello,
: Let me deposit my 0.02 c to this SuSE8.1 broken discussion.
: I don't have any problems with SuSE8.1 or its earliest versions
: 'cause I always download and custom compile plain kernels from
: kernel.org with all needed alsa modules from alsa-project.org.
: I also download as tar balls and compile most of important application
: I'm working with.
: My point is to install just a plain SuSE distro with minimum critical
: packages and install rest of needed packages manually from the
: sources.
: It takes a little bit time and efforts, but in the end I'm getting
: rock solid OS without further head breaking and hair pulling.
: It's physically impossible for SuSE team to evaluate and inspect all
: included packages due to short periods between OS releases.
: And when the release date has come the most of the packages get
: outdated anyway.

Doesn't all this effort sort of defeat the purpose of a distribution? I
mean, I thought that's exactly what we were buying with our hard-earned
cash...

: Who knows when SuSE 8.2 is due to come?

If they follow the historical ~6 month release cycle, then it would be
March of next year.

--Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!