Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.1 broken?
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:58:11 -0800
Hello,
Let me deposit my 0.02 c to this SuSE8.1 broken discussion.
I don't have any problems with SuSE8.1 or its earliest versions
'cause I always download and custom compile plain kernels from
kernel.org with all needed alsa modules from alsa-project.org.
I also download as tar balls and compile most of important application
I'm working with.
My point is to install just a plain SuSE distro with minimum critical
packages and install rest of needed packages manually from the
sources.
It takes a little bit time and efforts, but in the end I'm getting
rock solid OS without further head breaking and hair pulling.
It's physically impossible for SuSE team to evaluate and inspect all
included packages due to short periods between OS releases.
And when the release date has come the most of the packages get
outdated anyway.

> All in all I like 8.1, while I still look forward to improvements in

> 8.2.

Who knows when SuSE 8.2 is due to come?

Alex