Re: [SLE] Upgrade to newer versions by ftp
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:06:01 +0200
* Agustin Lobo; <alobo@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 25 Nov, 2002 wrote:
Does anyone has any experience on actually updating
(to a newer version) by ftp (using YAST) instead
of using the newer CD? As far as I understand, in
order to upgrade from 7.3 to 8.1 I would have to boot from my current 7.3 cd and
then select update.

No you need to boot from the cd image you downloaded from the ftpserver
since an update usually involves new kernel new glibc etc you should be
booting from the "to be updated sysyem" which in this case would be the
CD image you have downloaded and burned on a CD

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer