Re: [SLE] What can I use for OCR?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjohNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:04:07 +0100
On Friday 22 November 2002 15.17, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> > > I don't know.
> >
> > It's *really worth finding this out! Otherwise, you suffer badly from
> > GIGO.
>
> What's GIGO? :-?
>
> I think I will need an "English email acronym dictionary" O:-)

Use "dict", it's an insanely useful tool on the net

# dict gigo

>From Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) [jargon]:

GIGO /gi:'goh/ [acronym] 1. `Garbage In, Garbage Out' -- usually said
thing" when given imperfect input or otherwise mistreated in some way.
Also commonly used to describe failures in human decision making due to
faulty, incomplete, or imprecise data. 2. `Garbage In, Gospel Out': this
more recent expansion is a sardonic comment on the tendency human beings
have to put excessive trust in `computerized' data.