Re: [SLE] VMware.
  • From: Erik Jakobsen <erik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:15:22 +0100
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:15:51 +0100
Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Mercredi 13 Novembre 2002 15:05, Erik Jakobsen a écrit :
> > > - - Do you really need to recompile everything? The VMWare provided by
> > > SuSE is precompiled correctly.
> >
> > I have to say yes, as I have the license for the version 3.2.
>
> That's a good reason. ;-)

Indeed it is :-)

> > > - - The message above is asking for the C headers. The ones provided by
> > > libc library are in package glibc-devel (installed in /usr/include) and
> > > the ones provided by the kernel are in package kernel-source (installed
> > > in /usr/src/linux/include).
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > > If you want the kernel libraries, you may need to run the command "make
> > > dep" in /usr/src/linux before using them.
> >
> > Ok.
>
> I've never recompiled VMWare, but I understand that it builds some kernel
> modules. Then it is the kernel modules you need, not the glibc ones.

I have just unistalled the VMware 3.2, and have installed the VMware that follows SuSE.
But if I run vmware-config.pl, it again will make:

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this script to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] yes

Argument "gcc 3" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 1477, <STDIN> line 3.
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.19) does not match your running
kernel (version 2.4.19-4GB). Even if the module were to compile successfully,
it would not load into the running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

It IS necessary to run the vmware-config.pl ?.