System clock running too fast
  • From: Antônio L. F. Cruz <alfcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:31:43 -0200
Hello all,

I'd like an hint about what can I do to adjust my system clock, which is
running too fast on two Acer machines. Those are 400MHz dual-Pentium
processor machines. I had both upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 to SuSE Linux
Enterprise 7.0 for IA-32, for our Oracle development team, but this problem
is driving me nuts e causing some grief among the developers.

We have the exact same version of SLES on IBM xSeries machines, desktop and
servers, other "no brand" machines, and their clocks are running ok. I mean,
only on those two Acer dual-processor machines the system clock is running
about 3-4 times the real time. Meaning that I can adjust their date/time
from our NTP servers now (13:00 lets say), but measuring 5 minutes from that
on my wrist watch, I type the date command again and the time displayed is
about 4 times the 5 minutes elapsed, lets say about 13:20.

That's a lot of error for a drift of the clock. I have upgraded all rpms to
the last ones on SuSE's site (the kernel now is 2.4.18-64GB-SMP) and still
have the problem. I have included the dmesg of one of those machines in case
it is of help to you, and I could send any other data that's judged
necessary to solve this.

Thank you very much for any help.

AC