Re: [SLE] [SuSE 8.1] USB SpeedTouch modem user can't start SuSEfirewall2
  • From: FX Fraipont <fxf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:11:23 +0100
jpearson3 wrote:

Hello to all SuSe users,

I installed my Alcatel USB SpeedTouch modem under SuSE8.1 using Benoit Papillaut's open source drivers and everything works fine. I can't, however start the SuSEfirewall2 under SuSE8.1. Any ideas why? Note : I am already using the latest version of SuSEfirewall2 which I downloaded via apt-get and I have already read SuSe Support knowledgebasefor Setting up Alcatel SpeedTouch USB DSL Modem. The configSpeedTouch article doesn't apply (IMO) when using using Benoit Papillaut's open source drivers.
I am the first person to admit that I don't know what I an doing but the same setup ran just fine under SuSE8.
I would greatly appreicate it if someone would please tell me how to set up / configure SuSEfirewall2 to work as a workstation with a max. of protection for surfing the Web. TIA

Here's the error message I get when I try starting SuSEfirewall2. ----- start of log Starting the firewall
*** stdout: ***

*** stderr: ***
insserv: Service SuSEfirewall2_setup has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service rpc has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service named has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service inetd has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service dhcp has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service nessusd has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service wpmd has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service squid has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: Service ipsec has to be enabled for service SuSEfirewall2_final
insserv: exiting now!
----- end of log
Ciao
James Pearson
E mail (mai) : james.pearson@xxxxxxxxxx
E mail (bur) : james.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/j.pearson/
What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need.

I had to disable quickmode for my speedtouch to work: in /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2

FW_QUICKMODE="no"

If you wish, I can post my whole conf file.

fxf