Re: [SLE] NFS turning into headache :)
  • From: Richard Bos <allabos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:11:00 +0100
Op vrijdag 1 november 2002 17:35, schreef Matthew Johnson:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 09:25, jaakko tamminen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Check that You don't have recursive exports (ie. the same path can be
> > accessed from 2 exports).
> >
> > This halted my system... I tried to export both "/" and "/home/public",
> > and it made NFS non-working.. removed the /home/public, and immediatly
> > started working again.
> >
> > Jaska.
>
> Just one, called /nfs which contains the contents of the DVD. Its not
> like I'm being denied as it does authenticate. Unless soemthing in fstab
> is preventing it from being exported...? Not sure yet...

Hi Matt,

you're not the only one. I have the same (or at least similar problem) and
Prabu Subroto reports the same issue too... OTOH I have another computer
running as nfs succesfully, but that was set up with SuSE-7.2 (and is now
running 7.3). I use SuSE-7.3,
- nfs-utils-0.3.1-87 Tue 27 Nov 2001 11:02:18

$ rpm -qa --last | grep rpc
nothing, humm..
$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/rpcinfo
glibc-2.2.4-77

No that is interesting. Wasn't this package updated lately, let's see:
rpm -qa --last | grep glibc
glibc-2.2.4-77 Fri 04 Oct 2002 09:26:39

Would this be the guilty one?

How much time does take to time out? Is it exactly 300 sec (5 min)? This can
be checked in /var/log/messages. In my case the file system is mounted after
these 300 seconds, but that is far too long of course.

I exactly wouldn't mind, but the NFS install process comes back with a "-1" as
result....

Did you check the files in the directory: /var/lib/nfs/?

What is the result of the command: "rpcinfo -p <ip address/name server> "
Does it show something similar to this:
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper