Ark, zip, etc. (was Re: [SLE] My patience has run out
  • From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:02:15 -0500
On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:06, Silviu Marin-Caea
wrote:
> Salman Khilji wrote:
> > based applications. There are a few things like
> > the absence of a WinZip like utility that annoy me
> > from time to time, but otherwise my experience for
> > Software development has been very positive with
> > Linux.
>
> ark, lnxzip
>
> Included in SuSE.

Yeah, I wondered about that.
I've been installing SuSE since version 6 (or maybe
5...), and I recall that ark was always available, but
the YaST description always gave the impression that
it was out-dated, and included only for historical
compatibility reasons. So, I never bothered to
load it.

Yet, I've seen mention of ark as being used to open
old ark files and new zip files. What's the poop?
Is it still maintained and in regular use?

What's the most useful all-round [un]zipper/archiver
for those who don't use fancy features, but who need
the standard features for both Linux and Windows
compressed file handling?

/kevin

< Previous Next >