RE: [SLE] My patience has run out
  • From: Jonathan Cowherd <jonathan.cowherd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:42:13 -0500
I remember there being a few issues regarding network printing with BSD
style lpr programs (have you tried lprold, unsure if it is in SuSE 8.x, will
know this weekend when I upgrade to 8.1)?

If you are using a bsd print system try the following in order:

1) ping ip of the printer. If this doesn't succeed, then there may be
a network issue to be resolved first.
2) telnet to network interface for the printer, on HP Jetdirects it's
ususally port 513.
3) ftp a postscript file to the printer. Not all network inferfaces
support that, so consult your manual.
4) Check your /etc/printcap. A very basic on looks like:

mylaserps|My Laser Printer:\
:lp=:\
:rm=192.168.1.20:\
:rp=lp:\
:if=/usr/local/bin/enscript-filter:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/vogt203ps:\
:sh:mx#0:

Where 192.168.1.20 is the IP of my network printer. :rm=<priter
ip>: for "Remote" and :rp=lp: for "Remote Printer". :if=<postscript
generator>: for "Input filter" :sd=<spool directory>: for "spool direcotry"
and I forgot what :sh:mx#0: means. You may not need the :if=<pg>: tag if
you are always sending postscript to your printer.

Jonathan Paul Cowherd
Linux and Java Administrator
Genscape, Inc.
Email: jonathan.cowherd@xxxxxxxxxxxx