Re: [SLE] My patience has run out
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 08:50, kathee wrote:
t.

> So, if MS Office is your tool of choice, stick with it and stick with
> Windoze (or use CrossOver like I do if I really have to).

I thought the guy made it very clear he was a linux advocate and worked
with Linux for a long time has become frustrated with the experience.
You can like something and still be frustrated by its shortcomings. I
know this for sure since I use Gnome2.0 without menu editing still :->.

He is blowing off steam. People get far too serious too quick. As a
CTO it seems that you should see this after don't your employees do this
sometimes. The guy was harsh but sometimes you have to be. I use SuSE
at work and Redhat 8.0 at home. OpenOffice still looks nasty on SuSE
but right out of the box it looks good on RedHat. BTW, yes I do know
all the tricks about how to make OpenOffice look decent in regard to the
fonts inside the app and in the documents. Still, an enduser should not
have to deal with this.

> I travel every week and I watch people "scream" at ticket agents, hotel
> employees and the like. It gets them nothing.

But he is fussing to the community not calling up SuSE tech support
personally giving them hell. There is a big difference.

> On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 23:55, Salman Khilji wrote:
>

> > > 6. Let's see if OpenOffice as installed and polished by Suse is able to
> > > impress this business user: The default font in OpenOffice is Times.
> >

> > Yes, I agree. I installed OO on my computer and uninstalled it within
> > half-an-hour. Too disappointing. I would wait for a few more years (if
> > Linux survives a few more years of course) to come back to Office suites on
> > Linux. For me, MS Office still is the best choice. (Although I don't do
> > much Word Processing at all).

On the subject of Word Processing I still like WordPerfect 8.0 the
best. OpenOffice is nice but since I like Gnome I feel that Abiword for
my tastes has the nicest interface -- now if they get tables and better
Word imports I will stick with them.

--
Johnathan Bailes BAE Systems ESI

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---

< Previous Next >