Re: [SLE] Where is compress/uncompress?
  • From: Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:35:54 +0200
Thibaut Cousin wrote:
> Le Jeudi 24 Octobre 2002 17:24, Danny G Smith a écrit :
> > I have not been able to find compress. I would have thoutht that it
> > would install by default. I realize gunzip is a better compression
> > tool. But some programs still call compress.
>
> You're right, I haven't been able to find it in the CD.
> But you can make a symlink to gunzip, as gunzip is able to
> uncompress .Z archives. I didn't see anything about gzip being able to
> create a.Z archive, though.
> Another solution: there is a "ncompress" RPM package available on
> the web (I saw it on rpmfind.net) which claims to be 100% compatible
> with compress for creating and decompressing .Z archives.

I've got Stuffit, especially popular in the Mac world, but there is a
Linux version too, available somewhere on http://www.stuffit.com.
It compresses, extracts, encodes and decodes about everything.
I guess it can be executed via 'compress' by means of a symlink, alias
or one line bash script.

To create a .Z archive:
stuff --format=compress <filename>

To decompress a .Z archive:
unstuff <filename>
The type of file is automatically determined here.

SH

< Previous Next >