Re: [SLE] Where is compress/uncompress?
Due to some sort of licensing issues this utility was not included with
SuSE 8.1. I have a install procedure that uses compress as opposed to
gunzip simply due to the fact that even the most primitive Unix boxes
tend to have it.

I feel your pain.

I have not yet upgraded to 8.1. Try snagging an older SuSE box if
available and getting compress and uncompress from there. I am curious
to see if it works. If you do not have a version I can send you one.