Re: [SLE] Where is compress/uncompress?
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:55:44 +0200

Le Jeudi 24 Octobre 2002 17:24, Danny G Smith a écrit :
> I have not been able to find compress. I would have thoutht that it
> would install by default. I realize gunzip is a better compression
> tool. But some programs still call compress.

You're right, I haven't been able to find it in the CD.
But you can make a symlink to gunzip, as gunzip is able to uncompress .Z
archives. I didn't see anything about gzip being able to create a .Z archive,
though.
Another solution: there is a "ncompress" RPM package available on the web (I
saw it on rpmfind.net) which claims to be 100% compatible with compress for
creating and decompressing .Z archives.

- --
Thibaut Cousin
E-mail : cousin@xxxxxxxx