Re: [SLE] [OT] Top-posting is so Microsoftish [OT]
  • From: Philipp Thomas <pth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:25:51 +0200
Doug McGarrett <dougmack@xxxxxxxxxx> [14 Oct 2002 19:58:42 -0400]:

>Yes, replies at the top are most useful.

Nope, they're the most annoying ones. They only show ignorance to
established rules and an unwillingness to adapt (like sending
additional answers by mail because it's too hard to edit the header).

>At my saltmine--a division of Honeywell--it is a serious
>offense for anyone to snip anything off an email he is
>replying to.

A nice example of why common sense is so uncommon (for more hilarious
examples see
http://computerworld.com/departments/opinions/sharktank/).

Do you include photocopies of all previous replies to a letter in your
answering letter? No? Then why do it with email?

>And, as an aside, I think the emailer we use at my facility,
>IBM's Lotus Notes, was actually written for a UNIX system before
>it was ported to Windows, but I'm not sure.

Notes may be many things, but it is among the worst MUAs that I've
come across. In fact, calling it a MUA is a deep insult to those
programs that actually deserve that name.

>It "top-posts."

I've written it before in a reply to you months ago: the fact that
those that programmed the Notes client didn't have a clue doesn't make
it a standard in a world where the rules are *much* older than Notes.

Philipp

--
Well, you can put a shoe in an oven but that wouldn't make it a
biscuit.