RE: [SLE] 8 freezes in 8 days. At least 8.1 is consistant.
  • From: "The Purple Tiger" <Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:55:11 +0100
My Athlon runs at 48 deg Centigrade consistently [according to the BIOS when I frequently reboot due to issues with kernels/windows ;o)]

My impression, after much tweaking and hardware changes, is that it is the 2.4.x series of kernels. There seem to be no problems with 2.2.x kernels on this - no lockups for at least 24 hours, but when I changed to 2.4.18 / 2.4.19 it frequently freezes solid.

Maybe mine is a different issue, but I do not know.

On another note - I have another machine which has a :spit: Cyrix 333 with a not fantastic gfx card [2d only, 1 MB on it!], 64 MB RAM running SuSE 8.0 as a mailserver/DNS server/webserver. Not one freeze....

Maybe the 2.4.x series of kernels have some issues with a piece of hardware and X?

Confuzzling!

I am not hijacking the thread, but merely pointing out that I had what would appear to be similar symptoms with 8.0

I am not changing from SuSE - I love the distro :-)