Re: [SLE] Advanced Micro Devices will include Microsoft's Palladium(OT)
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:20:30 -0400
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:33:34 -0400
gilson redrick <gilsonr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> LinuxJournal, Oct.2002: Heather Mead, senior editor: "We are seeing more and
> more clearly that Hollywood has the money and the desire to turn the Internet
> into a super-regulated, privacy-invading, content-management system."

I think this is what Palladium is all about. They want to have something in each
computer that acts like a "cable-box" content lock. When cable modems
and fiber-optic home feeds become common-place, they want to
make sure you have to pay to view their content. I don't see why they
don't do this external to the computer in a separate blackbox. I guess
they figure that programmers are smart enough to decode any scrambling
scheme with their computers......so build the descrambler right into
each processor. I can see the FBI confiscating computers because
you have that "new Chinese processor" that allows you to watch first
run movies without paying. Just like they do now with illegal cable boxes.

--
use Perl; #powerful programmable prestidigitation