Re: fonts in x11/SuSE 8
  • From: Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:29:54 +0200
jalal <the_jalal@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Rohit
>
> I used truetype fonts. I had a bunch from a Windows installation that
> I copied over.
>
> I copied a set of truetype fonts that I had into the
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directory, then I ran:
>
> ttmkfdir | sed s/^[0-9]*// > fonts.scale.myfonts
> /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.fonts
> xset fp rehash
>
> which created the encoding files. (I noticed that sometimes the fonts
> start to look screwed up again and SuSEconfig has replaced the first
> line of fonts.scale with a 0. Edit and change back to whatever is the
> first line of fonts.dir).

That doesn't matter. You don't need to change this from 0 to the
actual number. fonts.scale is not read neither by the X-server nor
by the font server. Only fonts.dir is used.

fonts.scale is only used by mkfontdir when it creates fonts.dir.
See the man page of mkfontdir:

man mkfontdir> Because scalable font files do not usually include the X font name,
man mkfontdir> the file "fonts.scale" can be used to name the scalable fonts in the
man mkfontdir> directory. The fonts listed in it are copied to fonts.dir by
man mkfontdir> mkfontdir. "fonts.scale" has the same format as the "fonts.dir" file.

It happens that mkfontdir ignores the number in the first line of
fonts.scale. You can put any arbitrary number there and mkfontdir
happily appends the contents of fonts.scale to fonts.dir and
generates the correct number in the first line of fonts.dir.