Re: [SLE] What does pts/0 stand for? UNIX/Linux Novice needs help/advice.
  • From: - <hbwebb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:59:59 -0700
First, thanks. Ok I understand the following ( I even know that
teletypes were primary output devices after the punch cards; I am with you
on that part.) about dummy terminals and command prompts in the post punch
card days before the almighty Xserver. I am with you. RE: In the
beginning......", there was no X and you could only login
> to REAL ttys, ie. "boot in ascii mode". But that was a long
> time ago.

right. ok, I already know about pseudo terminals, teminal emulators,
availiable consoles with <ALT>+<F*> IE <ALT>+ <F1- 6>. I knew about
<ALT>+<F7>. I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT starting additional X sessions and their
<ALT> key assignments as in :
>By the way, you can have a second X server going, to really make things
> interesting.
> Go to a REAL console, like <control><alt><F3> and type in
> startx -- :1
>
> Now you have :0 on <alt><F7> and :1 on <alt><F8>.
> Look at the "who" for ptys on <alt><F8>.

THANK YOU! Today has been a good day in that I have learned something new. I
thank you. Also I know<ALT>+<F10> is the actual console for shell messages.

I still get the following after a regular SuSE KDM-logon for $who with
Konsole
max@linux:~> who
max :0 Sep 5 17:13 (console)
max pts/0 Sep 5 17:13
max pts/1 Sep 5 19:44
max@linux:~>

obviously pts/1 is my Konsole session

But is :0 primary intial session , and pts/0 X-server session ?
or is it that pts/0 is the xconsole for error/sys messages <ALT>+<F10> ?