Re: [SLE] New Hard Drive and Suse
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:38:25 -0400
On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 07:42:08 -0400
Linux Leo <Leo.Linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it OK if I install windows first and then install Suse and let Yast
> do the partitioning for me? If yes, then how can I change the total
> partition size at that time e.g. I want to change YAST's choice of
> partition to 10GB from whatever it chooses.

Well if you want to install windows first, it will take /dev/hda1 for
itself. In that case, make sure your laptop's bios can boot from
big hardrives. If you still want to make a small /dev/hda1 at
the front for /boot, what you can do is boot your laptop
from the rescue cd or floppy.
Run "fdisk /dev/hda" and make a small /dev/hda1 for
yourself, and mark it type Linux. You can then install windows,
and when it asks how much disk to use for "C", set it to what you
want, then later when you install Linux, you will have the rest
of the disk to use.
Or you can do all the partitioning first with linux, from the
rescue cd. Make all the partitions like I described in
the previous post, except after making /dev/hda2 for
windows, change it's type to fat32, and set it as active,
then when you install Windows, it will use that as the
"C" drive.

If your harddrive is empty, it would be a good time to "play
around with fdisk". Make partitions, reboot, wipe out partitions, change
partition types, etc. You won't do any harm to a empty disk.
This way you will see what fdisk does, and gain some familiarity
with it.

--
use Perl; #powerful programmable prestidigitation

< Previous Next >