Re: [SLE] Piping dd and tar AND gzip
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:02:14 +0200
On Tuesday 23 July 2002 20.40, Oliver Ob wrote:
> I wrote _just_that_ 10 lines above :-)

No, you said you checked the sizes. I wondered if you had verified the content
as well. A thorough fsck is never a bad idea if you suspect that something
has gone wrong. If you had tripwire set up on the old partition now would be
a good time to verify those md5 sums too.

> But how come the gzipped backup is one block larger than the
> original data!!?!?!?? what does gzip add there?

No ideas at present, but if the data is valid it's probably unimportant.

//Anders