Re: [SLE] eth0 once again...this time it's better
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:46:41 +0200
On Thursday 18 July 2002 15:25, Burhan Khalid wrote:
> On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:15, Nick Selby wrote:
> > Setting up network interfaces:
> > lo done
> > eth0 (DHCP)
> > failed
>
> Yeap, just as I thought. This is the same message that I get when I bootup.
> A few things you should check :
>
> (under YaST2 -- which I personally hate, but....) :
>
> Under Network/Basic --> DSL Configuration :
> Make sure you check what mode you have it running under.
> More than likely it will be PPP over Ethernet.
> Check the firewall (unless you've got your own firewall setup)
> If you want DSL to come on everytime a user (application) accesses the
> internet, check the dial-on-demand. You will need the IP addresses of your
> local DNS servers for this to work. Check with your ISP.

Wait. I'm really glad to hear this but I am concerned that you don't
understand one element (or more likely I don't understand it, but here goes):
The DSL connection is not directly connected to the machine, but rather to
the router. The router is providing IP forwarding and masq services. I was
under the impression - in fact the machine did not work - until I removed all
DSL configuration information from the suse machine.

Is this right?

> Under Network/Basic --> Network Card Configuration :
> If that eth0 (DHCP) failed is really bothering you, give your eth0 card
> a static IP address. Do this ONLY IF YOU ARE USING PPPoE. If your ISP has
> given you a static IP, then of course you would want that number in there.
> You can use any IP address that is in the private net class (my favorite is
> 127.0.0.1). Netmask is 255.255.255.0

Yeah...but but but but but the DHCP is assigning an IP address, yes? or am I
wrong here?

> You can leave the hostname and route settings alone.
>
> Under Network/Advanced --> Hostname and DNS :
>
> Check the box that says "change hostname with DHCP".
> Also, you add the DNS numbers (from step 1) under the Name Server List.

That's been done.

> Let me know if this helps,

We're getting there!

< Previous Next >