Re: [SLE] eth0 once again...this time it's better
  • From: Burhan Khalid <burhankhalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 06:25:56 -0700
On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:15, Nick Selby wrote:
> Setting up network interfaces:
> lo done
> eth0 (DHCP) failed

Yeap, just as I thought. This is the same message that I get when I bootup. A
few things you should check :

(under YaST2 -- which I personally hate, but....) :

Under Network/Basic --> DSL Configuration :
Make sure you check what mode you have it running under.
More than likely it will be PPP over Ethernet.
Check the firewall (unless you've got your own firewall setup)
If you want DSL to come on everytime a user (application) accesses the
internet, check the dial-on-demand. You will need the IP addresses of your
local DNS servers for this to work. Check with your ISP.

Under Network/Basic --> Network Card Configuration :
If that eth0 (DHCP) failed is really bothering you, give your eth0 card a
static IP address. Do this ONLY IF YOU ARE USING PPPoE. If your ISP has given
you a static IP, then of course you would want that number in there. You can
use any IP address that is in the private net class (my favorite is
127.0.0.1). Netmask is 255.255.255.0

You can leave the hostname and route settings alone.

Under Network/Advanced --> Hostname and DNS :

Check the box that says "change hostname with DHCP".
Also, you add the DNS numbers (from step 1) under the Name Server List.

Let me know if this helps,
--
Burhan