Re: [SLE] Re: security hole?
  • From: Marcel Broekman <m.broek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:06:19 +0200
Op zondag 14 juli 2002 22:31, schreef Lee Mavrogenis:
> Davy,
>
> Don't be such a pretentious fop. This thread started as a complaint
> by someone that they could get root access by merely using a "rescue
> disk" My comments where made in this context and so still hold (with
> the exception of redhat 5--perhaps).
>
> With regard to being able to get through almost any secrity -- that
> was conceeded in my first post. A big DUH! to those who responded
> without obviously having read the whole post.
>
> Don't be so enamored with yourself, as you indicate in your post you
> really don't now what you are talking about but are venturing to make
> a guess. That's fair--but no need to be an ass about it.
>
> Again, my comments where made within the context or the ORIGINAL
> posted complaint.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lee

Lee,

Point is that if you know what you're doing and you have physical access
to any machine with any OS you can have root access within minutes, be
it with a floppy disk, cdrom or removing the hd and mount it in another
box.
Saying that SuSE (or any other OS for that matter) is weak in that
respect is bollocks. If you have to be that serious about the security
of your boxes, you better know how to make them more secure and don't
stick with the default install. That ultimately means that you'll have
to keep them behind closed and locked doors.

Cheers, Marcel