Re: security hole?
  • From: Lee Mavrogenis <leemav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:02:22 -0400
Well boys and girls it appears I have touched a nerve.

Granted, almost without exception any security scheme can be
breached--however thats no excuse to give everyone a key to the front
door. Allowing root access to anyone who merely uses a boot rescue
disk is, in my opinion, rediculous. You may disagree, thats ok, your
allowed to. Nevertheless, if you need an OS which treats root access a
littlie more securely consider alternatives such as Redhat or FreeBSD.
If you "forget" you root password you cannot merely insert a "resue
disk" (a so neither can anyone else) and break in as root.

With regard to data visibility--the concern is more then just whether or
not someone else can see the data--it is what they can do as root which
might breach the security of your network long after the initial breach.

Please feel free not to respond if you do not want to. I'm not asking a
question--just making a comment. Don't get your panties all in abunch.

Regards,

Lee

< Previous Next >