Re: [SLE] KDE 3.x or Gnome 2.0?
  • From: Keith Winston <kwinston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:14:08 -0400
On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:33:27PM +0100, James.Rocks@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that Gnome 2.0 has been released (and, from the screenshots, it loos
> better than previous) I wondered what people thought was the best and why?

This whole thread will likely cause a minor flame war because desktops,
like many things, are a personal preference.

With that out of the way, let me light my flamethrower...

If you are using SuSE, you are likely to get better support and better
tested binaries using KDE. This is natural since several KDE developers
work for SuSE. It is just a side effect of where SuSE spends more
energy, while it is likely to be the reverse with Red Hat since they
seem to have more Gnome developers on staff.

For me, I think both projects are spinning a bit out of control, and
I've recently switched from KDE to Icewm. It is small, fast, themeable,
easy to configure, easy to control, and it doesn't leave 200 DCOP errors
on your screen when you shut it down. Of course, you can run KDE or
Gnome apps in Icewm, but I only run a few of my favorites. Thank you
SuSE for giving us a lot of choices (the latest Red Hat doesn't even
include Icewm).

Best Regards,
Keith
--