RE: [SLE] Suse support not up to it
  • From: "Berge, Harry ten" <berge@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:55:26 +0200
We've had an indoor training from SuSE Germany for a week, and whe are
pleasantly surprised with the knowledge they brought. There was'nt just some
education guru, but instead a (former) developer who knows all the in's and
out's of Linux/SuSE. And on the fly, he fixed some problems for us.

What I want to say is that the problem is not the knowledge of the SuSE
people in general. The problem is with the OEM's, but I think that the Linux
community is somewhat responsible for this.... An example. The not working
soundcard mentioned earlier in the postings. Whe want the manufacturer to
support the soundcard with a driver. But which driver for which soundsystem?
There is no uniform audio system on linux (although Alsa is included in the
2.5 kernel) so it is very hard for a manufacturer to develop a driver. On
Windows you have the uniform WDM. Every manufacturer can order some
documentation about this (I suspect they must pay for it :-) and the can
write their driver(s)....

If Linux wants to have some chance on the desktop market then there have to
be some defined standards for ALL distributions on typical desktop market
tools: scanners, audio, video, printers, ..., ...

regards Harry