Re: [SLE] Fwd: Running Quake3 On Linux
  • From: Charles Griffin <cng3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 05:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- clifford <clifford.okoro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes i know it's a tired and used problem and i've
> searched the net on =
> this one but the answers i receive just don't seem
> to work so here goes.

A couple of comments/questions:

1. The reference to the "nv" driver in the Device
section of you XF86Config file definitely needs to be
changed to "nvidia". You may also want to try running
"switch2nvidia" -- I did not have to do this when I
installed my nvidia drivers, but some have mentioned
success after running this script.

2. You mentioned you are running the latest nvidia
drivers -- are these the 2960 drivers? If so, you may
want to consider stepping back a generation to the
2880 drivers. I had several problems with the 2960
drivers but quake3 runs great for me with the 2880
drivers.

3. How did you install the drivers? Did you download
and install the nvidia_kernel and nvidia_glx rpms
designated for SuSE and install them in that order?
Or did you download the sources for the kernel and glx
drivers and do rpm --rebuild? If you had older nvidia
drivers, did you uninstall them first per the nvidia
README?

4. Do you get the nvidia splash screen when you boot
the computer or restart the X server?

5. What does 3DDiag tell you?

The answers to some of these questions may help in
determining you problem.

Regards,
Charles