Re: [SLE] Fwd: Running Quake3 On Linux
  • From: Charles Griffin <cng3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 05:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- clifford <clifford.okoro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes i know it's a tired and used problem and i've
> searched the net on =
> this one but the answers i receive just don't seem
> to work so here goes.

A couple of comments/questions:

1. The reference to the "nv" driver in the Device
section of you XF86Config file definitely needs to be
changed to "nvidia". You may also want to try running
"switch2nvidia" -- I did not have to do this when I
installed my nvidia drivers, but some have mentioned
success after running this script.

2. You mentioned you are running the latest nvidia
drivers -- are these the 2960 drivers? If so, you may
want to consider stepping back a generation to the
2880 drivers. I had several problems with the 2960
drivers but quake3 runs great for me with the 2880

3. How did you install the drivers? Did you download
and install the nvidia_kernel and nvidia_glx rpms
designated for SuSE and install them in that order?
Or did you download the sources for the kernel and glx
drivers and do rpm --rebuild? If you had older nvidia
drivers, did you uninstall them first per the nvidia

4. Do you get the nvidia splash screen when you boot
the computer or restart the X server?

5. What does 3DDiag tell you?

The answers to some of these questions may help in
determining you problem.

Do You Yahoo!?