RE: [SLE] [OT] Atari disks on Linux
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:35:54 -0500
Hello, Guy.

This might be stating the obvious, but does your 720k formatted floppy have
two holes at the top ? One of them is the write protect tab, the one on the
other side tells the floppy drive what size disk to expect. If the second
hole is there, put a bit of sticky tape over both sides of the hole. Then
try it again and see if Linux will now see it as 720k. If the ST drive is
720K only, it will ignore the hole because it does not know to look for it.

In reverse, back in the days when 1.44MB floppies were twice the price of
720K ones, we used to use a soldering iron to put the hole into the other
side. As I remember, none of these modified disks ever failed to format at
1.44MB, and it saved us a lot of money as poor impoverished students.

Hope that helps,
Stuart.