Re: re[4]: [SLE] Visual C++
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 May 2002 00:51:38 +0200
Praise <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > AFAIK, there is no difference at all between ".h" and "not.h", there is
> > merely convention.
>
> Well, quoting Stroustrup: "For every header <cX> defining name in the
> namespace, there is a header <X.h> defining the same in the global
> namespace." So the .h is the C-style header, the other is the C++ header for
> the same stuff, with the only difference of namespace.

The <cX> headers mentioned by Stroustrup are the Standard C library
headers, not the standard C++ library headers. Thus the standard
guarantees the existence of <cstdio> and <stdio.h> but NOT the
existence of <vector.h>.

Anyway, I'm not an expert in C++ so this is just my personal opinion
based on the content of the C++ standard which follows:

17.4.1.2 Headers

The C++ Standard Library provides 32 C++ headers, as shown in Table
11:

Table 11 C++ Library Headers

The facilities of the Standard C Library are provided in 18 additional
headers, as shown in Table 12:

Table 12 C++ Headers for C Library Facilities

Except as noted in clauses 18 through 27, the contents of each header
cname shall be the same as that of the corresponding header name.h, as
specified in ISO/IEC 9899:1990 Programming Languages C (Clause 7), or
ISO/IEC:1990 Programming Languages C AMENDMENT 1: C Integrity, (Clause
7), as appropriate, as if by inclusion. In the C++ Standard Library,
however, the declarations and definitions (except for names which are
defined as macros in C) are within namespace scope (3.3.5) of the
namespace std.

Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx