Re: [SLE] Ok, this sucks!
  • From: Marcel Broekman <m.broek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 21:39:32 +0200
Thanks Tor,

> Subject: Re: [SLE] Ok, this sucks!
> Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 18:13:16 +0000
> From: Tor Sigurdsson <tosi@xxxxxxxx>
> To: marcel@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Ever heard of "rpm -F" ?
>
> It updates the package if and only IF
>
> o It is already installed
> and
> o It is newer than the already installed package
>
> rpm -Fhv *.rpm <-- updates everything that HAS to be updated, and
> nothing else.

Yes i know this! That said, i don't consider myself an rpm expert but
you're forgetting that this thread is mostly about missing the ease of
use of installing new, updated and individual packages, a function
that Yast1 had and Yast2 doesn't. Before we can do what you suggest
we'd still have to know which packages to download, then download and
hope all dependencies are met (Yast1 didn't do this, i know). And run
SuSEconfig afterwards.
This is where apt-get could step in beautifully i think. It's here and
ready, so why not use it and expand the possibilities.

cheers, Marcel

> - -tosi

---snip---