Re: [SLE] Samba Network Printing on 8.0 [SOLVED]
  • From: "Brian W. Carver" <bwcarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 11:21:57 -0700
OK,

One tiny problem to describe, but then for the benefit of posterity I'll describe how I printed across the network! When printing from the client computers, printing is fine, but it prints a blank page at the end. SuSE even has a description of this problem in their database, but I don't understand their solution. Anyone able to explain it to a dummy?
See: http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/ke_netprint-trouble.html

***Solution for network printing on 8.0:***

Install samba.

Edit /etc/inetd.conf to uncomment the line that says:
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat

Edit /etc/hosts.allow to contain:
swat: 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.

if like me, you want any local computer (192.168.0.x) to be able to access SWAT.

Type http://localhost:901 into a web browser.

Use swat to set up things. I'll include my smb.conf as an attachment to show you how I set up my printer and a couple of shared directories. You can also follow the same advice I did from http://plug.phoenix.az.us/step-by-step/samba/toc.html which is and old but still useful "Samba Server Step-by-Step Guide".

The one thing he doesn't tell you in that guide is to go to SWAT's passwords section and create a samba user for each client computer. You'll have to have a linux user on the server for each of these computers too. Then I made sure my windows computers were actually using the same user names and passwords for logging into windows (control panel:users) and then finally in swat click on ENABLE USER for each user you've created.

After that the server computer showed up in Network Neighborhood and I could set up a network printer in Windows with the settings:printer:wizard thingy.

Good luck. I feel like some of what works for me, works on accident and I don't really understand what I've done myself. I just know the clients can print, and I'm thrilled with that.

Brian

Brian W. Carver wrote:
Hi,

I want to get Samba running so that any computer on my lan can print to the printer connected to the new SuSE 8.0 server. I've never got Samba working before, so be gentle with me. In the past on other linux distros I've at least been able to get SWAT to run, but cannot even get that far right now.

I used YAST2 to install the samba package. I'd like to get SWAT running now so I can use the GUI to edit my smb.conf file, among other things.

So, I've edited /etc/inetd.conf to uncomment the line that says:

swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat

I also see the following line in /etc/services

swat 901/tcp # CONFLICT, not official assigned!

I've edited my /etc/hosts.deny to look like this:

# /etc/hosts.deny
# See `man tcpd┬┤ and `man 5 hosts_access┬┤ as well as /etc/hosts.allow
# for a detailed description.

http-rman : ALL EXCEPT LOCAL
swat: 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.

because I want any local computer (192.168.0.x) to be able to access SWAT.

I've rebooted once to allow inetd to restart but still if I type:

http://localhost:901 or even http://192.168.0.1:901 into mozilla I get a pop-up box that says "The connection was refused when attempting to connect localhost:901"

Also, if I do a netstat -an I don't see that the server is listening on 901 at all. Port 901 isn't even mentioned when I type that.

All I want to do is print over the network! Ahhhh! Thanks for any help.

Brian W. Carver
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/05/01 04:43:18

# Global parameters
[global]
interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24 127.0.0.1/24
bind interfaces only = Yes
security = SHARE
encrypt passwords = Yes
map to guest = Bad User
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
time server = Yes
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
character set = ISO8859-15
os level = 2
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
guest account = smbuser
hosts allow = 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4
printing = lprng
hide dot files = No
veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
create mask = 0640