Re: [SLE] Konq & Launching Progs as Root
  • From: AnonymousCoward <quantum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:23:00 -0500

.
Thanks, but in konsolesu:

hydra:/opt/kde3/bin # sux -c ./konqueror -s bash root
No matches found, authority file "/dev/fd/62" not written
xauth: (argv):1: unable to read any entries from file "(stdin)"
Xlib: No protocol specified

konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0
hydra:/opt/kde3/bin #

And in konsole:

hydra@hydra:/opt/kde3/bin$ sux -c ./konqueror root
Password:
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
/tmp/mcop-hydra is not owned by user
zone still contained 2 blocks
hydra@hydra:/opt/kde3/bin$

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 10:01, Tor Sigurdsson wrote:
> In Konsole use "sux" instead of "su" or "kdesu". It adds your cookie to
> roots cookiejar ( ~/.Xauthority )
>
> AnonymousCoward (þriðjudagur 30. apríl 2002 14:51)
>
> > .
> > I can't seem to get subscribed to the kde list (never get confirm), so
> > I'll ask here.
> >
> > Running Suse8 with all current updates. It has always been my practice
> > to run as a user, and to invoke Konq & Konsole in superuser mode when I
> > need them thus.
> >
> > But with Suse8 I can no longer (as a user) launch X-based programs from
> > these windows. Logged in as root I can, but not when as a user and
> > launching from these programs. For instance in Konq I cannot
> > right-click|OpenWith|Advanced Editor a file: "KDEInit could not launch
> > 'kwrite'".
> > And from the su konsole # konqueror and I get:
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: No protocol specified
> >
> > konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0
> >
> > In user konsole $ kdesu konqueror yields nothing.
> >
> > This looks alot like a security issue. Maybe the X server is
> > intentionally disabled from accepting root commands from a user. Or
> > maybe it's one missing setup step. Anyone know the answer?

- --
Neckties strangle clear thinking.
-- Lin Yutang

< Previous Next >