Re: [SLE] 7.2 -> 8 update problem
  • From: Patrick <tracerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:47:23 -0400
> From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> It could do that, but under the LSB it doesn't have to, and you
> shouldn't rely on such functionality.
>
> Anders
>
> Good point: it doesn't have to. (And I don't rely upon it ;) But I
> fear that whichever distribution can achieve painless upgrades first
> will blow the others away. In that contest, the enormous variety of
> applications which SuSE offers is actually a potential liability.
>
> jim
========================

Jim,
As a computer person I would think if you reread your last posted
paragraph, you would say to yourself this is really never going to be
possible! Upgrades are all painless, except for the problems the users
adds to the upgrade. Nobody can possibly adjust for all the variables
of what someone has done to their system since installing a fresh
setup, just not possible. Same way for hardware, it is very nearly
impossible to allow for all the diffrences in hardware today! If
everybody followed the LSB to the letter than that would make it easier
for a LSB compliant distro to upgrade, but that still can't take into
account what the users have done beyond that.

I see a lot of complaints on this list blaming SuSE or some other distro
for different things and from what I can tell most can be attributed to
the "short between the keyboard and chair" ! ;o)

Patrick
--
--- KMail v1.4 --- SuSE Linux Pro v8.0 ---
Registered Linux User #225206

< Previous Next >