Re: [SLE] Custom SuSE kernels?
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:10:45 -0700
Anthony,

Sometimes commercial vendors tend to attach their own strings to a
such open and available essence as a Linux kernel.
They could warn you that your Linux box will burst in flames and smoke
if you won't use their version of kernel an so on.
It's mostly political and marketing trick in order to keep end user
bound to the particular distro.

In reality you can create your own distro from the plain kernel
sources and run it with the same bells and whistels as a commercial
distro. The only challenging thing you'll face is a flashy user
friendly setup/upgrade and installation interface a'la YAST or
something similar. That is why YAST is not free.

Regarding kernels, you can download latest stable kernel 2.4.18 and
modutils 2.4.15 from kernel.org. Download newest ALSA modules.
Deinstall SuSE modutils with --nodeps option.
Install downloaded modutils. Compile your own kernel tailored to your
hardware and particular needs. Reboot. Compile ALSA modules according
to its README files. That's it. You'll notice that your kernel will be
smaller and faster than default bulky SuSE kernel.
You can even get rid of that useless boot splash screen designed for
corporate dorks.

Alex