Re: [SLE] <OT>Stay Legal - Stay Free (Software)
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dougmack@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 19:59:23 -0400
At 17:22 04/09/2002 -0500, Dennis Tuchler wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 17:16, David Herman wrote:

>> > No legal authority; just the threat of yanking the right to use the
>> > software.
>>
>> I guess this is becoming quite OT so I won't post further after this
>> but...
>>
>> How can they prevent you from using software you purchased if they
>> don't even have a legal right to confirm that its on your machine. (I
>> seem to remember something about ms granting themselves audit rights in
>> the eula for some version of nt but I may be wrong. But that wouldn't
>> have anything to do w/ 98, etc.)
>
>As I recall. Microsoft doesn't sell the software, but only licenses it
>to the user, subject to conditions. The investigations are done to check
>on compliance with the license.
>
>dj tuchler

As far as I remember, there are (supposed to be) Constitutional limits
on the rights of search and seizure, and only the government of the USA
and the States and city and county governments have the right to issue
search warrants. And they are issued on the basis of evidence of a crime.
No private company has any right to search any facility
under any conditions, and the only way a search could be performed, is
with a search-warrant from a court. There would have had to be a
reasonable body of evidence that a crime had been
committed before such a search could be allowed.

I am not a lawyer, and maybe there are things that I am not aware of,
but I would be damned if I would let a Microsoft inspector into my house
or my business.

Good idea to put a password into the BIOS. I think I'll do that.

--doug

< Previous Next >