Re: [SLE] Too many open files
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alleman, Lowell" <lowella@xxxxxxxx>
To: "'Morten Christensen'" <suse-sle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-msdos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 7:53 PM
Subject: RE: [SLE] Too many open files

Thanks for your answer.

It looks like you posted this a few days back. If you're
still having this
problem, here are some things to try:

I believe that you can modify the maximum number of open
files by looking at
files in the /proc file system. ( I didn't look at any
docs, I'm just going
from memory here...I did try this on my system and it
appears to work the
way I expected.)

To see the maximum number of files type in:

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
8192

My system reports 8192. I think you can change this
number by login in as
root, and doing some like this:

# echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

I tried this advice.

now a mount-attempt gives this answer:

/root/bin/mount: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

And the new file-max disappears after a reboot.

A really nasty "blue screen of dead" just in a black
console:-[

mvh
Morten Christensen

I checked to see if my entry was accepted by re-running
the first command.
This time I got back '16384', so it looks like it worked.
I don't have an
easy way to test this limit on my system...... I can't
image that you would
ever really need that many files open at once, but I'm no
expert...

You can see what files are open by using the 'lsof' (LiSt
Open Files)
command:

# lsof

You may need to install it youself. (rpm -ivh
lsof-x.xx.rpm)

If this doesn't help, you may want to check your
installation. I'm
suggesting this because what you have described sound
kinda weird, and it
never hurts to verify the integrity of your system. You
can easily check
the installed packages by running "rpm -Va" (this will
(V)erify (a)ll of
the packages on your system.) Pull up the rpm man page
for help on
interpreting the output.