Re: [SLE] howto linksys
  • From: Jesse Marlin <jlm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:02:44 -0500
Jesse Marlin writes:
Landy Roman writes:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:38:43 -0500
> Jesse Marlin <jlm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Landy Roman writes:
> > > is there a howto in the linksys routers?
> > >
> > > trying to to set the ether-fast dsl router
> > > BEFSR41 ver1
> >
> > What do you need to know? I have one of these and it works great.
> > I do recommend getting the latest firmware upgrade. It seemed
> > to solve some problems I was having with ssh'ng into my network.
>

> well that is exactly what i dont find.... i went to linksys webpage and i
> dont see the firmware when i tried other os i get a zip file and the
> firmware is a exe extension
>
> how to install the firmware when i get it, what driver;
>
> how do i set gateway for clients

Sorry missed this one. Each of your machines will have there default
gateway set to 192.168.1.1 or whatever your router is set to. The router
has the ability to do dhcp so in SuSE you can have it obtain the
network setting automatically via dhcp. DHCP will broadcast its presense
on your network (in my case 192.168.1.x). You should not have to specify
anything to get the cards to autoconfigure themselves except maybe the
default gateway and obtain the address automatically.

I had mine autoconfiguring at one time but have since changed to static
addresses. I suggest using the dynamic because it is easier.

This may not be clear, let me know if I should clarify anything.

Earlier firware upgrades were done through the browser. If you go to
the Help tab when you log into the router you will see a link entitled
"Upgrading the firmware". But as you can see it wants IE 5.0.

NOTICE !!
Currently, this Firmware Upgrade utility support only IE 5.0 and above.
If the file dialog does not appear after pressing 'Browse' button, you
should try to set lower security level in the 'Tools/Internet
Options/Security/Internet&Local intranet/Custom Level/Java Custom Settings'
of your browser.

I think they also offer a tftp.exe executable on the webpage that also does
the same thing. You will need windows to do it this way. If you can
convince
the webpage that you have a IE 5.0 browser I don't see any reason why it
would
not work.

The firmware page uses java. I was able to convince it I had IE5.0, but
did not have java setup correctly. I have been doing all of my firmware
upgrades via Windows. But it should work in linux.

< Previous Next >