Re: [SLE] vga != normal + X , or: Have(cake) + Eat(cake) ?
  • From: Steven Augart <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 02:25:26 -0800
I use vga=ext in lilo, or
append="vga=0x0301", and get some more lines that way.

You *do* know that which mode is vga mode 7 can change from kernel to kernel and
card to card, right? (Details at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/svga.txt.)

But I recommend that you go with SVGAText which is more customizable.

Neither approach seems to cause any trouble starting X. For me.

My experience with this has been with these cards:
Matrox G200, Matrox Millennium II, ATI Xpert98 (mach64),
ATI Xpert 2000 (r128) and NeoMagic NM2160.

--Steve Augart

Jon Clausen wrote:
On machines without X I like to use vga=7 in lilo.conf so as to get many chars/line in the console.

On machines *with* X this (vga != normal) makes X fail pretty consistently, seemingly irrespective of hardware/kernel version/X version... so I'm wondering whether a setup like that is at all possible?

Last time I checked (which is a while ago) I couldn't find any docs to clarify...

This is more a point of curiosity than importance, and so I've never spent much time looking at logs or anything, to try to figure it out.

Knowledge, anyone?

Jon