Re: [SLE] SuSE 7.3 bad CDs?
  • From: Steven Augart <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 01:49:39 -0800
Brian,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I would actually encourage you to try to install some other operating
system -- whatever you have lying around. I suspect you're having a hardware
problem. I have built about 15 PCs myself, for a business, and those
hardware problems can be insane to track down.

The computer I'm typing at right now had a 7.3 installation corrupted
by some sort of hardware trouble. I went over to a stable box and spent
hours figuring out that init had been corrupted during the bad installation.

If you're getting kernel panics, it's almost certainly that sort of problem.

By the way, I personally found that almost half the motherboards I
worked with were flaky in some way or other. Of course, I also
drive the DMA hardware full-bore.

--Steve Augart

Brian Durant wrote:
Hi again,

I have done 3 installs since I last posted an e-mail to the list about
my newbie package and network problems (Soyo Dragon Plus! motherboard)
and I am totally down on SuSE. I have performed 3 variations of a
"normal" install. One with default no office, KDE environment/All of
KDE and Help Documentation. The second was a vanilla flavored default
no office. The third was a vanilla flavored default with office. In
all 3 cases, I was unable to produce a workable install. Two resulted
in a kernel panic and the third, could not write LILO to the /mbr. All
errors during install are different. kdegraphics and kdemultimedia are
the one common denominator. In all three cases, there was a bad magic
failure to unpack the archive message. Otherwise, no common
denominator. I have checked my RAM and there is no problem there. I
think I will go out and purchase Mandrake 8.1.