RE: [SLE] advice for network card and DVD
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:30:48 -0000
Hello, Paul.

I have four machines here with 3C905B cards in them, the predecessor to the
3C905C. The 3C905B cards work perfectly under SuSE 7.3, and I have not
heard of any problems with the 3C905C cards as yet. They are very popluar
and work well.

To everyone else on the list, this recommendation comes from MY preferences
and MY experience. I am NOT trying to spark off yet another flamewar over
which network card is best. The 3COM card will no doubt suffice for Paul's
needs.

As for the DVD drive, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Pioneer. I have four
of their 16X/IDE/Tray Loading ones and have never had any trouble. These
drives also work as a 40x CD-ROM drive. And, as I recall, they were fairly
inexpensive for what has proven to be a good device. It certainly made
installing SuSE 7.3 easy; boot from the DVD, answer a few questions, have a
cup of coffee or two and proceed to use the system. Bear in mind that the
speed multiplier for a DVD is not comparable to the speed of a CD. 1x CD
speed is only 150k/s, whereas 1x DVD speed is about 1.35MB/s.

If you don't yet have a CD burner, there are also combination DVD-ROM/CD-RW
drives that you might like to consider. They only read DVDs, but allow you
to read, write and re-write CDs all in the same device. However, since I
haven't used any of these devices myself, I can't recommend any particular
make/model. Maybe someone else will suggest one.

Bye for now,
Stuart.