Re: [SLE] Kernel RPMs in the ftp sites.
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 Jan 2002 13:44:00 +0100
Richard Bos <allabos@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Sure, mk_initrd already does source rc.config to get INITRD_MODULES.
> > I mean, if you really want to do it all with one carriage return
> > rpm -Uvh new_kernel.rpm && mk_initrd && lilo && init 6
>
> It's not that I want it to be on 1 line, but when updating 50 packages it
> would be nice that mk_initrd/lilo are called when needed.

If I understand it right the problem is in automatic identification of
the "when needed". For example, some users may have switched from lilo
to another boot manager. Automatic execution of lilo at the end of the
kernel upgrade would destroy their current boot manager.

If administrators stuck to strict rules (like keeping valid
INITRD_MODULES, ...) or used "standard" configurations then IMHO the
automatic update would be possible. The question is if it's worth the
effort.

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >