Re: [SLE] Recomended Filesystem
  • From: Peter Nixon <nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:53:20 +0200
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:12:46 -0400
James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On January 2, 2002 10:14 pm, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > I haven't done it yet, but I would go with ext3 because there is a
> > program that runs in MS Windows that can access ext2, and I have been
> > told that it works with ext3. Many of us will be stuck with MS for
> > a while yet. Program is called called explore2fs. With it, you can
> > access your Linux directory from Windows, copy files, etc. If you
> > don't care, then I have no other recommendation. --doug
>
> You could argue that as a bad thing. Security reasons, y'know?
>
> However, ReiserFS is a *far* faster filesystem. Your system's performance
> will noticeably improve.
>
> If accessing the partitions from Windows is important, you can get a program
> called rfstool at http://p-nand-q.com/reiser4win.htm
>

> - --
> James Oakley

Thanks guys,

I knew about the ext2 windows proggy, and as I said previously I don't run windows... at all... but it's interesting to see that there is now a reiser one also...

I think I will stick with ReiserFS over ext3 for 2 reasons.

a) I have used it extensively and had very little trouble with it.
b) I have not heard any reasons NOT to use it..

--
Viel SpaƟ

Peter Nixon - nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SuSE Security FAQ Maintainer
http://www.susesecurity.com/faq/

"If you think cryptography will solve the problem, then you don't understand cryptography and you don't understand your problem."