Re: [SLE] CD-R burning from drive to drive with SuSE Linux 7.3
  • From: Rene Engelhard <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:20:08 +0100
David List wrote:
> On a system with a SCSI DVD-ROM drive and an IDE CD-RW drive I try to burn
> I cannot do this as a regular user on this system. The message is:
> david@dt:~> cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=2,0 -isosize /dev/sr0
> Cdrecord 1.11a05 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
> setpriority().
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. shmctl failed to lock shared memory
> segment
> david@dt:~>

That's normal. cdrecord uses a kernel function which is only
available for root (to better avoid buffer underruns).
If it was available for all users this would by a security leck...
Because this function can be used to crack the system if you
use it intelligent...

If you want to burn as normal user to it like man cdrecord describes:

- Create new group burn
- All users allowing to burn write into this group
- chmod root.burn /usr/bin/cdrecord
- chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdrecord

This was it. Log out, log in and you'll be able to burn...

> If I su to root and issue the same command, the usual startup-messages
> appear, but no real burning takes place when it should start. I just see
> Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer...
> And the source-drive spins up and down forever.

.. if that won't happen. I do not know how to help here...

> Burning from ISO-images to the CD-RW drive works fine.

... but this then should work as user.

Rene