Re: [SLE] MX records & how to fetch / resubmit to the original mail server
  • From: Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:22:49 +0800
At 06:28 ¤U¤È 2001/11/25 -0800, Christopher Mahmood wrote:
* Ronald Wiplinger (ronald@xxxxxxxxx) [011125 17:29]:
> I know that I can setup different MX records for the mail exchange, but how
> do I resubmit or fetch the mails to the original mail server automatically,
> as soon as this server is available again?

If I understand your question, you shouldn't need to do anything
other than flush the mail queue (sendmail -q, postfix flush, killall
-ALRM qmail-send). The mta should then immediately try to get the mail
to the next-higher-precedence MX (which may not necessarily be the
most preferred one).

Example:

MX 0 mail.abc.com
MX 10 mail-backup.abc.com
MX 20 mail-backup.otherside.com

It would mean, that the mails will come to mail.abc.com, except the server is down (or even overloaded), If so, the next mail server would be used: mail-backup.abc.com, of if the entire site has a problem the mail-backup.otherside.com

And there they are !!!! and there they stay !!!!
However, the normal user is not checking mail-backup.abc.com or mail-backup.otherside.com
Actually, I not even want that the mails on these machines would be sort in into mailboxes for the users, ... it should be just here in a queue to delivery to mail.abc.com as soon as possible.

bye

Ronald

--

-ckm