Re: [SLE] lightning struck suse 7.3 - warning and gripes
  • From: "Purple Shirt" <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:48:50

* Purple Shirt (purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx) [011124 21:37]:
> How can the CD set not contain a root image you can use in
> conjunction with a harddisk(cd) install?

The install from disk was intended for users who had cdroms that
weren't supported in Linux but worked in msdos (yes, this used to be
a problem). I'm not sure why it's not working now but I'll look
into it. I'm also not sure why you'd want to use it.

Because we like choice.

> Who comes up with these tie in schemes? Is Bill working for SuSE
> now? I have been with suse since 5.3 and I get more and more
> disappointed with every release. We reached the point where we get
> a new release which doesn't even install.

Oh please.

Yes. How do you explain this output then when I and others tried to install? I haven't heard a single answer from SuSE about this problem.

"/var/adm/mount/ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/suse/i386/7.3/suse/images/root"
umount /var/adm/mount ok
Mounting of inst-sys returns 0
inst_execute_yast:903 command_ti = "/inst-img/sbin/inst_setup"
starting yast1
inst_execute_yast:921 command_ti = "/inst-img/sbin/inst_setup yast1"
yast1 return code is 256 (errno = 2)
sync = ok

> Once again great that SuSE doesn't use bugzilla so we the users
> can't submit a bug report properly and follow up on how this gets
> dealt with.

Beta testers have access to bugzilla. If you aren't a beta tester
then feddback@xxxxxxx does get read.

Yeah leaving us users in the dark of what bug exists and how they are being squashed. Information is power but SuSE doesn't grant us the information to know about the bugs in the distribution we use. Security through obscurity?

oh well.

mk